Monday, April 8, 2013

Easter and Gladstone's Library

Easter Sisters. :)
This Easter was unique in many ways. We participated in our first Seder Meal with good friends Andrew and Alene. We and a few other families shared in the symbolic meal which included liturgy, wine, and wonderful food. We hope to make this a tradition every year.

As Garrick was in Wales over Easter, I attended church without family this year. I enjoyed participating in the music and watching the grandparents, parents, and children take part in the service together. Although I would not choose to celebrate this way, I was reminded that the Christ's death and resurrection is the same yesterday, today, and in the future, regardless of my circumstances.

After church and a nap, the women of St Mary's graciously invited me to attend their Easter dinner. Lamb shanks, roasted vegetables, spinach salad, and bread adorned the table, and just when I though it couldn't get any better, Guinness Cake topped with chocolate ganoush and strawberries appeared.

 
A few of the women who were present share an office with Garrick, so I enjoyed getting to know them better. This community continually encourages and challenges me.
 
Garrick and his friend Chris Brewer received a grant to study at Gladstone's Library in Wales for a week and this included accommodation, breakfast, and dinner each day. Read more about their time here: thebrewerclan.com.
 
 
While our men were away, Chris' wife Rachel and I spent the week together. Garrick has travelled in the past and I've stayed on my own, but this was so much better! We enjoyed cookies, conversation, movies, and of course, Legos and UNO with the boys. I was so thankful to be an adopted Brewer for the week. Garrick arrived home on Wednesday evening with our friend from college, Ryan Gregg! More to come on his visit. :)

I think it's appropriate to conclude with this meaningful quote from a lovely hymn we sang on Easter Sunday:

"And we are raised with him, death is dead, love has won, Christ has conquered."

No comments:

Post a Comment