Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls
(Adapted from Jennifer Hill Pallian at Foodess.com)
- 3/4 cup milk, warmed
- 2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup + 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 6 cups all purpose flour, divided
- oil, for bowl
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4-6 tbsp whole milk
- In a large bowl, combine warm milk and 1 tsp granulated sugar. Sprinkle with yeast and let stand 10 minutes, until frothy.
- In a medium bowl, whisk melted butter, 1/2 cup granulated sugar, eggs and pumpkin puree.
- Stir in two cups flour into the frothy yeast, and then stir in the pumpkin mixture.
- Add remaining 4 cups flour one cup at a time until the dough forms a ball. Knead the dough for 5 minutes until smooth and elastic.
- Transfer dough to an oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface and roll into a rectangle that is 1/8 inch think, or 26 x 20 inches.
- Combine the brown sugar and spices in a small bowl. Set aside. Spread the softened butter over the surface of the dough using your hands. Sprinkle the brown sugar mixture over butter.
- Starting at the edge, gently roll the dough to form a log. Cut in half, and then cut each half into 12 pieces.
- Arrange in two greased baking dishes, one 9x13 and one 9x9. Cover with a dish towel and let rise in a warm place for 60-90 minutes until doubled volume.
- Brush the tops of buns with milk and bake at 350 degrees F (176 degrees C) for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown.
- In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese, butter, icing sugar, and vanilla extract. Beat with hand mixer until light and fluffy. Add whole milk a tablespoon at a time until desired consistency is reached.
- Frost warm rolls and enjoy!