Friday, January 4, 2013

Vacationing in a place I once lived...

brings conflicting emotions. Driving past our old apartment yesterday, we noticed that the new tenants have kids and have hung a welcome sign on the door, under #44. Snohomish High School has been renovated. Even our parents houses have changed. But, many things remain the same. I-5 is a bottleneck, the sunset over Lake Washington is breathtaking, and the Snohomish Bakery's Cinnamon Rolls are blog-worthy.

I think I've felt an unspoken pressure to choose. St Andrews or Snohomish. Both have wonderful qualities and some things that I'd like to change. But, I've learned that I have two homes. Two places where I feel at peace. Driving through the Snohomish Valley on a sunny day and smelling fertilizer will always remind me of our wedding, playing soccer, and learning to drive.


But, standing at the edge of the North Sea, smelling the marine air has also become home. Many times I've walked to the sea, to reflect, to pray, or to find treasures. Once a new and unpredictable place, it now grounds me.



I feel blessed to call two places home, and know I'll probably add a third or a fourth, or even a fifth throughout my life.

1 comment: