Sunday, July 6, 2014

The Scottish Game Fair

Garrick left for Vienna yesterday afternoon, and I'm staying with Rachel while our husbands are away. I'm thankful for time with her and the boys!

Yesterday I was immersed in Scottish culture at the Scottish Game Fair held at the grounds of Scone (pronounced 'scoon') Palace. I was invited by friends I've met at work, and they made me an honorary Scot for the day. The sun was out, along with Harris Tweed blazers, Cocker Spaniels, and pipers. It reminded me of a classy state fair without the rides.

 

Take a look at this menu. I ordered the Highland Estate Venison Burger and it did not disappoint. I was laughed at by a woman in front of me in line when I asked, "What's a bap?" Thanks to Ken, I learned that it's a round bread roll.


There were many activities including air rifle shooting, dog races, ball tosses, fishing demonstrations, and saw competitions.




Vendors lined the grounds and set up tents selling Scottish-made items. I bought a Harris Tweed dog key chain and an apron printed with Edinburgh landmarks. There was also a food tent selling top-quality meats, cheeses, whisky, and preserves.




We took a break for some Pimm's on the lawn about halfway through the day, and then we stopped again for ice cream a few hours later. I ordered two scoops: coffee and chocolate, of course!






The longer I live in Scotland, the more I grow to love the people and the culture. It's a beautiful and unique part of the world. A special thanks to my wonderful friends for letting me tag along! Garrick, you were missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment