Monday, October 7, 2013

Money Matters

(I stole my title from the lovely Capod Department at the University of St Andrews.) I realise that I've not written about this subject since we've begun the postgrad life, and I thought it may be worth mentioning.

Money.

We don't have any.

The end.

Although that could easily be my post, it's a little more complex. Deciding to embark on a PhD is large financial undertaking. It is not something to do on a whim. Once we decided we were all in, the overseas fees for postgrads studying the UK became a reality. Truthfully, we've only gotten poorer as we've aged. But, that's probably true for most adults as they buy homes, cars, etc. However, our investment is an education. And as Garrick likes to say, "They can't repo my brain!"

Our lives are simple, humble, and adventurous. I get excited over a wee house plant from Ikea, or a coffee here and there (okay, let's be honest, most days).  There are times when we literally have £20 left for the month and a week to go, so we have a minor panic attack, then laugh and eat lentils. I told Garrick the other day that getting upset over being poor when you've decided to get a PhD is like jumping in the ocean and being mad that you got wet. It's just reality.

This experience has taught me that I'm rich in other areas, besides money. As cliche as that sounds, I don't think I would be as grateful or aware of the many blessings in my life had we not chosen this path. So with that, I guess the point of this post is that money doesn't really matter. Take a look at the sunrise a few weeks ago. It was free, and probably one of the most beautiful sunrises I've seen.

4 comments:

  1. So very wise and I commend you for being honest Andrea. My husband & I had the conversation that we are certainly not 'better-off' living here in Scotland. Life at most times seems harder (convenience wise) and we live a fairly humble life for a couple of old folks. With our 4th child wrapping up her final year at WSU and being an international student this semester in London, our money too is going towards education! We learn to make fun and appreciate the simple things, just like you said. A cup of tea and a 'fine piece' is a big deal at a local castle's tea room. My mom always told me that her most favorite of days were the ones when she & dad were first married and living in a town of 200 (or so) in a tiny MT town. She said that the banker, car dealership owner, the farmers, the teachers, they all seemed to be classless. Everyone was on a level playing field (so to speak) They'd create their own fun, everyone participated and it was truly the happiest of times. That always stuck with me. Money doesn't equate to happiness and you and I both know that to be true!! Bravo to you & Garrick as your futures will always be bright no matter what life throws to you. It's all in the attitude.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your kind words, Debbie! You and your husband are such loving parents to allow your kids to pursue their dreams! Your mom's story is so refreshing. I think that generation understood happiness a lot better than this one. I really enjoy all of your updates and would love to see you in Aberdeen sometime. We have a few friends up there who are also living the postgraduate life so a trip so happen soon. :)

      Delete