Sunday, August 26, 2012

"What I've learned this year" by Garrick

Hey, everyone, it's Garrick. I don't write much on this blog because Andrea is so good at it and because I'm always tempted to write about scribal habits reflected in the reuse of scriptural texts in Second Temple Judaism and early Christianity. This topic would make for a rather sexy blog post, but not really sexy in a sexy sort of way. Therefore, I leave the chronicling of our fairly mundane existence to Andrea. But, because it's the first sunny weekend here in forever and she has better things to do, Andrea has asked my to reflect on my first year in St Andrews. I don't have anything too inspirational or important to say, but this experience has taught me much. Academically and personally I have grown a great deal. So I will share with you some things I have learned:

  • I've learned that giving it my best go is important. For the past 12 months I consigned myself to my desk for a 8 hours per day and 5-6 days per week. I've earned decent marks, began learning three languages, and completed a 16,000 word dissertation. I've been able to do these things not because I'm a gifted student (I am not) or have a photographic memory (I do not) but because I sat in desk and went for it even at the risk of giving it my best go and still failing. I was certainly an athletic disappointment in high school, but one thing I learned from my cross-country and baseball coaches was that the fear of failure can be debilitating.
  • I like the slow pace of life in Scotland. Meals run longer, parties wander into the wee hours, and few people are rushed. 
  • I like haggis and blood pudding. 
  • Few Scot's appreciate good coffee.
  • Most Scot's appreciate good whiskey.
  • Baseball is truly an American phenomenon.
  • I'm happy to be able to enjoy this experience with Andrea. Without her love, honesty, and financial income this would be an empty and literally impossible endeavour.
Thanks very much for reading our blog over the last year and you can look forward to more since we'll be abroad for four more years. Also, a few brave and apparently bored people have asked to flip through a copy of my thesis. If you want some free bedtime reading, leave your email and I'll send you a copy. Signed copies are 50 pounds.

4 comments:

  1. Andrew_stmarie@yahoo.com

    I can't tell you how fun it has been to read your blog and hear/see what you two have been up to in Scotland. Though to be honest, it also makes me sad that we don't live in the same city anymore. Someday, we will! And we will be such good friends! Garrick, it's nice to hear from you on the blog and I am looking forward to reading through the work you've done this last year.

    Miss you guys!

    - Andrew

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrew! This is Andrea. :) Thanks for reading! We would love to be neighbors with you and Laruen someday! We are still waiting for you to visit. Bring Simon! We'll be home for Christmas and hope to hang out then.

      Delete
  2. Hey Garrick, glad to hear you guys finally got a sunny day up there, I didn't realise it was a blue moon :).

    Would really like to read the thesis, not that I am that well read on the subject.. but it's always nice to be able to say " Did you know that the Book of Revelation owes much to Zechariah 4" at a dinner party and have some detail to back the statement up with :)

    All our love to you both for us all in St Ives..

    Martin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Martin! THanks for reading! I'll remind Garrick to send you a copy. And yes, you'd sound pretty intelligent at a dinner party! Or, you'd put everyone to sleep. Sam is growing so much! We enjoy seeing updates and look forward to seeing you again soon.

      Love,

      G & A

      Delete