Sunday, October 9, 2011

Meerkat Bites and Windy Nights

That's right, there are Meerkats at the St Andrews Aquarium. Clearly not aquatic, they attract large numbers of excited patrons who have seen the Meerkat documentaries on BBC. I have to be honest, they creep me out a little as the sit on their hind legs and turn their heads from side to side and stare. Also, I don't like watching Andrew, our animal keeper, feed them dead white mice and small birds. To his complete shock, one of them bit him in the back side during a "Talk Time" where he feeds them and shares fun facts. The bite made a 50 pence sized whole in his black trousers. (Pants are underwear here.) I did not hold back my laughter and will not be going into the Meerkat exhibit anytime soon.

Why do I have a sudden interest in Meerkats? I conquered the job search. I am now a receptionist at the St Andrews Aquarium where I have the privilege of working with a view of the North Sea and the Old Course on The Scores. Yes, my four weeks of "house wife" proved necessary, but I am much happier to work with great people, and earn some quid. And yes, I do get to check out the seals, sharks, piranhas, and clown fish on occasion. As for my nerdy side-kick, he's getting up at 6 AM tomorrow to study Hebrew with a friend envies my new job.



Although the weather here is much similar to Seattle, the difference is the wind chill. My North Face fleece and jacket barely keep it away from my skin. I find that my muscles tense even to walk outside and gloves and hats are a must. As we are right on the North Sea, wind is a daily occurrence and styles my hair and dries out my skin. "Bundling up" is a fact of life here. Since we're not spending our evenings at beach bonfires, we love getting together with some of our many new friends for dinner and games. It's a great way to avoid SAD and have fun while doing it. A Scottish tour guide, in full kilt glory, came into the Aquarium with about 100 Italian tourists. After chatting awhile, he told me that his 90 year old mother lives in the Highlands and swims every day of the year in the sea. Apparently this is common. Can you imagine? I don't think I am even 1/16 Scottish. I am content to sit under my warm quilt next to the radiator and listen to the wind whistle through our gas stove.

2 comments:

  1. I've loved reading about your new adventures and I'm glad you're settling in well. Miss you guys!

    -Alicia

    ReplyDelete