Sunday, October 30, 2011

1600 People and 2 Perfect Seat-Mates

Last Sunday, my cousin, Cam Christian, went to heaven. And then I went to Seattle.

The days in between his death and my flight home are fuzzy. I worked, booked my plane ticket, kissed my husband, and found myself at the Edinburgh Airport in a row of strangers, awaiting the call to board a KLM flight.

Anxious about flying alone internationally, I thought about my family. I could do it for them. My flight to Amsterdam behind me,  I sat in my seat on the plane to Seattle, home. I began a Sudoku, and then Susie sat next to me. After a little interviewing from the  Amsterdam security guards, my emotions ran high. I began telling this woman about Cam, my nervous stomach, and before I could finish, she told me she was a Seattle University professor for 28 years. Cam was the captain of Seattle U's baseball team.

Coincidence? I don't think so.

 Did the Lord use her to bless me? Yes.

My dad picked me up, and zombie-like, I walked into my parent's house. My mom and sister greeted me, along with the two cutest boys in my world, Brayden and baby Ryan. Then, I went to sleep!

I don't think I'll ever forget walking into the Auburn High School Performing Arts Center. 1600 people sat somberly, all impacted by my cousin. Awesome.

More than that, I watched my Aunt Debbie lift her hands in praise to God singing, "Because He Lives." I watched my Uncle Lynn read a beautiful letter to his son, now with Jesus. And I watched my cousins publicly remember their brother and acknowledge their trust in God. They are my heroes.

The closeness that occurred with my family last week is irreversible, and I am so thankful for each of them.

After kissing my nephews too many times to count, drinking Starbucks with my mom, chatting with my dad, and spending a day with my favorite in-laws, my trip ended.

I was on a plane again, sitting next to another woman, who quietly accompanied me on the 10 hour flight. She chatted with me over meals, and then napped or watched movies. After having a mentally exhausting week, this silence was GOLDEN.

Garrick walked into the airport, grinning, and brought me back to our little flat on Langlands Road. I thought I went home to Seattle, but I realize that Scotland is my new home. And I'm content.


  1. I'm so sorry that you have had to go through such a loss. It's very hard to come to grips with when you are far away so I'm glad you were able to make it back for the funeral.

  2. Thanks so much, Maggie! I agree, it was really good to go home and grieve with my family. Congrats to you on another blog award as well as Branden's job!! Thanks for reading. :)