Monday, August 22, 2011

Flying Underwear and Tiny Rooms

I've been waking up several times a night with vivid visions of myself carrying two backpacks, wheeling a 50 lb suitcase and struggling to walk through airports, train stations, and bus depots. I even imagine myself falling dramatically with underwear flying everywhere. I expressed my concern about moving all of my belongings across the world and Garrick responded typically, "It will be fine." In some ways, I am happy this is my biggest concern. I haven't even begun to worry about being isolated, anxious, or even lost in a new place. (I think it's pretty hard to get lost in St Andrews, considering it's smaller than my hometown of Snohomish.) Lately, I can't really see past September 3rd, driving to SeaTac with our heavy luggage in the trunk.

Missing my family and friends is a given. This week, however, I've been surprisingly sad over something else: our room. After college Garrick and I moved out of our tiny, mold-infested apartment into an even tinier room in the basement of the church parsonage. Somehow, we managed to squeeze hundreds of books, a chair, a bed, a dresser, and two grown adults into this room. Recently, we moved in with Garrick's family. Again, we made one room our home. This room is across the 3 foot landing from his mom and step dad and right next door to his college aged brother. I've complained quite a bit about our living situation over the past year: "I want my own house. I want my own stuff."

Life is simple in one room. It's easily cleaned. It's contained. I will fondly remember our room. Would I live in one room again? Not a chance! But I can say without hesitation that our little room has had a large influence on my life. I learned that life is not about possessions. Because if it is, I am failing miserably. I also learned how to shower quickly, shut doors quietly, and wash my dishes right after I cook. And most importantly, I know I can live in a 14 X 16 box. My friends and family often worry that Garrick and I won't be used to such small living quarters in Scotland. But in two weeks, I'll walk up to our little flat on Langlands Road and it won't feel so little.

6 comments:

  1. Great perspective...and I am way out of the loop. What are you guys doing in Scotland?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Garrick is going to St Andrews University for his Masters. Thanks for reading!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, carrying backpacks and wheeling heavy luggage is not a fun thing to do but it is doable and so far I've never had undies pop out everywhere. i think the worst part for me was just picking and choosing what to take and what to leave behind. That gets easier each time too though. This is a very exciting adventure for both of you but it is totally normal to be also a bit freaked out at this stage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually, on my way to England in 1999, I over-stuffed my suitcase. When the bags came around the carousel, I said to myself "Gosh, I wonder who's bag that is that busted open all over the place...."

    Needless to say, I frantically chased my undies around the carousel.... true story!

    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eric, thanks for sharing! That's a great story. :) You and Anne have a free place to stay in Europe...you should come!

    -Andrea

    ReplyDelete