Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Thanksgiving Scotland Style

We had a first on Thursday. We spent Thanksgiving without our families, football, or the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. I'll admit, I woke up feeling a little grumpy that morning. Garrick wasn't a saint either, so we both decided that we would make the best of our day. And we did!

Haley and I woke up early, met for coffee at Zest and carried our food and prep items on the bus to Leuchars, Scotland, to the abode of Adam and Lindsay Harger. We spent the morning converting ounces to grams, plucking turkey feathers, and listening to fun tunes, namely "Moves Like Jagger." Pumpkin pie and mashed potatoes were my contributions, and I need to take a moment and give a shout out to Paula Deen's Pumpkin Pie recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/pumpkin-pie-recipe/index.html. Cream cheese pumpkin goodness!


The boys arrived after a three-hour lecture, and of course came into the kitchen trying to sneak bites. I put a stop to this! Soon card games began, as this is a tradition for most people. Then, hunger struck...or should I say, slightly irritated moods. Again, we found out this is a tradition for most people! Finally 6:30 arrived. The bountiful table had everything an American stomach desires on Turkey Day:

Turkey
Gravy (Homemade form the turkey neck and other organs by the brave Lindsay Harger!)
Mashed Potatoes
Sweet Potatoes
Green Bean Casserole
Corn Bread Stuffing
Baked Apples
Rolls
Pumpkin Pie
Blueberry Cobbler
Apple Crisp
Whipped Cream
Vanilla Ice Cream
Mulled Wine
Coffee/Tea

Hungry?

After we couldn't fit another spoonful into our mouths, we incorporated many of our own Thanksgiving traditions. Garrick prayed before the meal. The Morehouse's read Psalm 100.

Then, we all shared what we are thankful for. Two common themes became readily apparent: First, gratitude for God's provision and guidance. And second, we all recognized that 3 months ago we were all strangers. And now, we were family. Originally from Washington, California, Indiana, Colorado, Minnesota, and North Carolina, we all sat at an oak table in Leuchars, Scotland, and shared a special holiday together.  

The rest of the evening was spent asking questions of the group such as, "Would you raise your children in the town you grew up in?" And, "What did your life look like at age 16?" By 11:00 PM we caught the bus back to St Andrews, as it was a school night. I called home and got passed around the Stevens' Thanksgiving and loved hearing the voices of my loved ones.

But guess what? On Friday night, we had Thanksgiving Round 2! With over half of the food left, we had the best meal of the year again. And what better way to conclude the evening than with Buddy the Elf? We laughed and laughed.  

Take a look at our beautiful friends, photo credit Haley Goranson:
[IMG_5909%255B6%255D.jpg]

I would love to hear about your most unique Thanksgiving! Please comment!


5 comments:

  1. So glad you had a nice Thanksgiving! We look forward to seeing you around town.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My most unique Thanksgiving was last year. Since it was a four day weekend from my work and Stephen's school we decided that it would be the best weekend to visit DC from Boston. We left on Thanksgiving day and after the 9+ hours of driving (now remember that I was about 8-9 weeks pregnant and SUPER sick) we finally make it to our hotel. We drove to the local Safeway, picked up a few ready made dinner items and then went back to our hotel and heated them up in the microwave. It was just the two of us and I was soooo sick. I ate about a bite of each dish, determined that they were disgusting and went to bed. It was pretty sad. BUT this year I was able to spend Thanksgiving with my family (first time since 2006) WITH a baby!!

    Miss you guys so much! Glad to hear you are surviving and thriving! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Corissa! That is definitely one to forget that you will probably always remember! :) I am sure you two can laugh about it now. I am so happy that you got to spend it with your family this year. What a treat! Elizabeth is growing up fast. I stalk your pics. I am excited for the day when the allen's and olson's can vaca together!

    Margaret, thank you for reading. We loved spending the evening with you and are looking forward to seeing you again as well! Your traveling inspired us. You also make the best chai I've had! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can never get my husband to take a serious picture. He has to be the goofy one. I guess I just have to accept it and move on. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary Blake...I have the same problem.

    ReplyDelete